To see whether you may have symptoms that suggest postpartum depression, answer the following questions:
Most mothers will answer yes to at least some of the questions above during the first week or two after childbirth. But call your doctor immediately if:
- You are worried that you may harm yourself or your baby
- Any of these symptoms makes it hard for you to care for your baby
- You have any of these symptoms for more than two weeks
- You start to have these symptoms one to two months after childbirth
- You have any other concerns
Remember that caring for a newborn is demanding and exhausting, both physically and emotionally. Do not hesitate to contact your obstetrician, your baby's doctor or the nursery where your baby was born to discuss your concerns. It is essential to your health and the health of your baby that you get the help you need.