This main dish is cholesterol-free, virtually fat-free and chock-full of vegetables.
1 lb. dry red beans
2 quarts water
3 T. chopped parsley
1 1/2 C. chopped onion
2 t. dried thyme, crushed
1 C. chopped celery
3 T. chopped garlic
1 t. salt
4 bay leaves
1 t. black pepper
1 C. chopped green pepper
- Pick through beans to remove bad beans; rinse thoroughly.
- In a large pot combine beans, water, onion, celery, bay leaves. Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and cook over low heat for about 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Stir.
- Mash beans against side of pan.
- Add green pepper, garlic, parsley, thyme, salt, black pepper. Cook, uncovered, over low heat till creamy, about 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves.
- Serve with hot cooked brown rice, if desired.
YIELD: 8 servings SERVING SIZE: 1 1/4 cups
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 171; Total fat, less than 1 gram; Saturated fat, less than 1 gram; Cholesterol, 0 milligrams; Sodium, 285 milligrams