What does your sex have to do with high blood pressure? What about stress? Age? Your family tree? The answers may surprise you!
1. There is nothing you can do to prevent high blood pressure.
2. If your mother or father has high blood pressure, you'll get it.
3. Young adults don't get high blood pressure.
4. High blood pressure has no symptoms.
5. Stress is the main cause of hypertension.
6. High blood pressure is not life threatening.
7. Blood pressure is high when it's at or over 140/90 mm Hg.
8. If you are overweight, you are two to six times more likely to develop high blood pressure.
9. You have to exercise vigorously every day to improve your blood pressure and heart health.
10. Americans eat two or three times more salt and sodium than they need.
11. Drinking alcohol lowers blood pressure.
12. High blood pressure readings can become normal without medication.