Sweet And Sour Seashells
Draining the marinade before serving keeps the fat and sodium low in this cold pasta salad.
1 lb. uncooked small seashell macaroni (9 C. cooked)
2 T. vegetable oil
3/4 C. sugar
1/2 C. wine vinegar
1/2 C. cider vinegar
1/2 C. water
3 T. prepared mustard
black pepper, to taste
1 2-oz. jar sliced pimentos
2 small cucumbers
2 small onions thinly sliced
18 lettuce leaves
- Cook macaroni in unsalted water, drain, rinse with cold water and drain again. Stir in oil.
- Transfer to 4-quart bowl.
- Place sugar, vinegars, water, prepared mustard, pepper and pimento in blender.
- Process at low speed 15 to 20 seconds, or just enough so flecks of pimento can be seen. Pour over macaroni.
- Score cucumber peel with fork tines. Cut cucumber in half lengthwise, then slice thinly.
- Add to pasta with onion slices. Toss well.
- Marinate, covered, in refrigerator 24 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Drain and serve on lettuce.
YIELD: 18 servings SERVING SIZE: 1/2 cup
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 149; Total fat, 2 grams; Saturated fat, less than 1 gram; Cholesterol, 0 milligrams; Sodium, 33 milligrams