Plants attract children because they have colorful berries, flowers, fruits and leaves. However, with more than 700 plants in the United States and Canada identified as poisonous, be aware that plants are a common cause of poisonings in children, particularly preschoolers.
Plants can cause skin rashes, stomach upset and even death. Fortunately, most plant poisonings can be prevented by, first, identifying ALL plants in and around your house, and then, learning which ones are poisonous and removing them. If you need help identifying plants, use library books, check with local garden and florist shops, or contact the cooperative extension service in your area. At the end of this article is a list of poisonous plants, both indoor and outdoor, that are dangerous.
In addition, to prevent children from being poisoned by plants:
- Be sure to always supervise children around plants, especially when away from home.
- Teach children not to eat plants, leaves, fruits, berries or mushrooms, unless served to them as part of a meal.
- Keep the telephone number for your doctor, the poison control center, and the local emergency department on or near every telephone in your home.
Lily of the valley
Tung oil tree