Activity: Disaster Supplies Kit
Every family should create a Disaster Supplies Kit that contains items that will be needed after a disaster event. This is an opportunity for all family members to participate in disaster preparation.
You can help gather the supplies for your family's kit. With an adult, go through the checklist and make sure you have the items needed for your kit. You should put them in an easy-to-carry container such as a duffel bag or large, covered garbage container.
- A battery-powered radio or television and extra batteries
- A flashlight with extra batteries
- A first aid kit and first aid manual
- Sterile adhesive bandages in different sizes
- Safety pins
- Latex gloves (two pairs)
- Gauze pads in different sizes
- Roller bandages in different sizes
- Nonprescription medicines, including aspirin, laxatives, antacid, syrup of ipecac, vitamins, antidiarrhea medicine, etc.
- Three gallons of water per person (a three-day supply), stored in plastic containers
- At least a three-day supply of nonperishable food such as granola bars, crackers, peanut butter, trail mix and snack-sized canned goods. (A two-week supply is recommended.)
- Select foods that require no refrigeration, no preparation and little or no water.
- Avoid foods that are high in salt or fat.
- Kitchen utensils, including a can opener
- A complete change of clothing for each member of the family, including sturdy shoes
- Blankets or sleeping bags for each member of the family
- Sanitation and hygiene products such as soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, toilet paper, towelettes, etc.
- A supply of any prescription medicine
- An extra pair of eyeglasses for any family member who wears them
- Credit card and cash
- Personal identification
- An extra set of car keys
- Additional items necessary for the elderly or infants
- Copies of important documents in a waterproof, fire-resistant, portable container
Help your family to create a smaller version of this kit to put in each car.
Remind an adult to change the food and water every six months and other items, such as batteries and clothing, as necessary.