1- Month Visit
Date Of Visit:____________________
Things the doctor will do at today's visit:
- Ask for an update on your baby's health.
- Examine your baby.
- Recommend an immunization for your baby: Hepatitis B.
- Give you an opportunity to ask questions.
Things you may want to discuss at this visit:
- Your baby's growth and nutrition.
- Your baby's behavior and development.
- Your baby's sleeping habits.
- Your plans for returning to work or school, and child care arrangements.
- Any other concerns you have.
Things to keep in mind:
- Always use a car seat : backward-facing in the back seat until your baby is at least 12 months old and weighs 20 pounds.
- Place your baby on his back to sleep.
- Do not put your baby to bed with a bottle or prop it in his mouth.
- Test water temperature with your wrist or elbow before bathing baby to make sure it's not too hot.
- Do not drink hot liquids while holding your baby.
- Do not let anyone smoke around your baby.
- Do not introduce solid foods until 4 to 6 months.
- You cannot spoil a newborn. Try to comfort your baby when he cries, by holding, rocking or cuddling him.
- Talk and sing with your baby.
Schedule an appointment for your baby's next visit, usually at 2 months of age.
Based on health supervision guidelines from the American Academy of Pediatrics and from Bright Futures, which is funded by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, under the direction of the Maternal and Child Health Bureau.
Last updated December 2, 2011