Fruit and spices make this a memorable and easy skillet meal.
| 1 medium onion, chopped |
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb. ground extra lean beef
1/4 C. sherry (optional)
1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t. oregano
1/8 t. salt
| pinch ground red pepper |
1/4 C. raisins
1 C. diced fresh or canned pineapple
1 16-oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 C. chopped pimiento or red bell pepper
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef, onion and garlic. Cook until onion is tender and meat is no longer pink and juices run clear.
- Drain off fat.
- Add remaining ingredients except green pepper and pimiento.
- Bring to simmer and cook 5 minutes.
- Add green pepper and pimiento and heat through.
- Serve with rice and bread.
YIELD: 4 servings SERVING SIZE: 1 1/2 cups
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 324; Total fat, 14 grams; Saturated fat, 6 grams; Cholesterol, 70 milligrams; Sodium, 282 milligrams; Dietary fiber, 3 grams; Carbohydrates, 27 grams; Protein, 24 grams
From Healthy Hispanic Recipes by the National Cancer Institute.