This cholesterol-free dish is virtually fat-free, prepared with only 1 tablespoon of oil for 16 servings.
2 cans (16 oz.) Great Northern beans
1 T. olive oil
1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1 C. onion, coarsely chopped
2 C. carrots, sliced
1 C. celery, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 C. cut-up, peeled fresh tomatoes
or 1 1/2 lb. canned whole tomatoes, cut up
1 t. dried sage
1 t. dried thyme
1/2 t. dried oregano
black pepper, to taste
1 bay leaf, crumbled
4 C. cooked elbow macaroni
- Drain beans and reserve liquid. Rinse beans.
- Heat oil in a 6-quart kettle. Add mushrooms, onion, carrots, celery, garlic. Saute 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sage, thyme, oregano, pepper, bay leaf.
- Cover and cook over medium heat 20 minutes. Cook macaroni according to package directions using unsalted water. Drain when cooked. Do not overcook.
- Combine reserved bean liquid with water to make 4 cups.
- Add liquid, beans and cooked macaroni to vegetable mixture.
- Bring to a boil; cover and simmer until soup is thoroughly heated. Stir occasionally.
YIELD: 16 servings SERVING SIZE: 1 cup
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 158; Total fat, 1 gram; Saturated fat, less than 1 gram; Cholesterol, 0 milligrams; Sodium; 154 milligrams*
*If using canned tomatoes, sodium would be higher.