This low-saturated fat, cholesterol-free pasta dish contains lots of tomatoes and herbs and very little oil.
1 T. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 C. freshly minced parsley
4 C. ripe tomatoes, chopped
ground red pepper or cayenne, to taste
1/4 t. salt
1 T. oregano leaves, crushed or 1 t. dried oregano
1 T. fresh basil, chopped or 1 t. dried basil
1/2 lb. cooked chicken breasts, diced into 1/2-inch pieces (3/4 lb. raw) (optional)
8 oz. uncooked fusilli pasta (4 C. cooked)
- Heat oil in medium saucepan. Saute garlic and parsley until golden.
- Add tomatoes and spices. Cook uncovered over low heat 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- If desired, add chicken and continue cooking for 15 minutes until chicken is heated through and sauce is thick.
- Cook pasta firm in unsalted water.
- To serve, spoon sauce over pasta and sprinkle with coarsely chopped parsley.
- Serve hot as main dish and cold for next day's lunch.
YIELD: 4 servings SERVING SIZE: 1 cup
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 304; Total fat, 5 grams; Saturated fat, less than 1 gram; Cholesterol, 0 milligrams; Sodium: 285 milligrams