|Healthful Recipes |
| || |
| Desserts |
This old-fashioned dessert is a great way to use up day-old bread.
4 C. thinly sliced pared apples or 1 can (16 ounces) pie apples, drained
2 C. bread cubes or torn bread pieces
1/2 C. brown sugar, packed
1/8 t. ground cinnamon
2 T. margarine
1/4 C. hot water
- Grease 1-quart baking dish.
- Arrange half of apples on bottom of dish.
- Follow with half of bread, then half of sugar. Repeat layers.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over top.
- Cut margarine in pieces and lay them on top.
- Finish by pouring hot water over all.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, uncover and bake 10 minutes longer.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Apple Cheese Betty: Spoon 1 C. ricotta cheese over first layer of apples, bread and sugar. Complete as above.
YIELD: 4 servings