A heart-healthy one-dish meal that is made with lean top round beef; lots of vegetables; and a spicy, low sodium herb mixture.
1 lb. top round beef
1 T. paprika
1 1/2 t. oregano
1/2 t. chili powder
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. black pepper
1/8 t. red pepper
1/8 t. dry mustard
8 red-skinned potatoes, halved
3 C. finely chopped onion
2 C. beef broth
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 bunches mustard greens, kale or turnip greens, stems removed, (1/2 lb. each) coarsely torn
2 large carrots, peeled, cut into very thin 2 1/2-inch strips
nonstick spray coating, as needed
- Partially freeze beef. Thinly slice across the grain into long strips 1/8-inch thick and 3 inches wide.
- Combine paprika, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, red pepper and dry mustard. Coat strips of meat with spice mixture.
- Spray large, heavy skillet with nonstick spray coating. Preheat pan over high heat.
- Add meat; cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, onion, broth and garlic. Cook covered, over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Stir in carrots, lay greens over top and cook, covered, until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Serve in large serving bowl, with crusty bread for dunking.
YIELD: 6 servings SERVING SIZE: 7 ounces
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 342; Total fat, 4 grams; Saturated fat, 1 gram; Cholesterol, 45 milligrams; Sodium, 101 milligrams