Adding beans to this meat chili helps to lower the fat and cholesterol in each serving.
2 lb. lean beef stew meat (trimmed of fat), cut in 1-inch cubes
3 T. vegetable oil
2 C. water
2 t. minced garlic
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 T. flour
2 t. chili powder
1 green pepper, chopped
2 lb. tomatoes, chopped (3 C.)
1 T. oregano
1 t. cumin
2 C. canned kidney beans
- Brown meat in large skillet with half of vegetable oil.
- Add water. Simmer covered for 1 hour until meat is tender.
- Heat remaining vegetable oil in second skillet. Add garlic and onion and cook over low heat until onion is softened.
- Add flour and cook 2 minutes.
- Add garlic-onion-flour mixture to cooked meat. Then add remaining ingredients to meat mixture.
- Simmer 1/2 hour.
YIELD: 9 servings SERVING SIZE: 8 ounces
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 274; Total fat, 10 grams; Saturated fat, 2 grams; Cholesterol, 65 milligrams; Sodium, 159 milligrams*
* To cut back on sodium, try using "no-salt-added" canned kidney beans or use beans prepared at home without salt.