This hearty entree uses half ground turkey and half lean, ground beef and no added salt for a lower fat and lower salt treat.
1 head cabbage
1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 lb. ground turkey
2 small onions, one minced, one sliced
1 slice stale whole-wheat bread, crumbled
1/4 C. water
1/8 t. black pepper
1 can (16 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 small onion, sliced
1 C. water
1 medium carrot, sliced
1 T. lemon juice
2 T. brown sugar
1 T. cornstarch
- Rinse and core cabbage.
- Carefully remove 10 outer leaves, place in saucepan and cover with boiling water. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove and drain cooked cabbage leaves on paper towel.
- Shred 1/2 C. raw cabbage and set aside.
- Brown ground beef and turkey and minced onion in skillet. Drain fat.
- Place cooked and drained meat mixture, bread crumbs, water and pepper in bowl.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid, and add 1/2 C. tomato juice from can to meat mixture.
- Mix well, then place 1/4 C. filling on each parboiled, drained cabbage leaf.
- Place folded side down in skillet.
- Add tomatoes, sliced onion, water, shredded cabbage and carrot. Cover and simmer about 1 hour (or until cabbage is tender), basting occasionally.
- Remove cabbage rolls to serving platter, keep warm.
- Mix lemon juice, brown sugar and cornstarch together in small bowl. Add to vegetables and liquid in skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and clear. Serve over cabbage rolls.
YIELD: 5 servings SERVING SIZE: 2 rolls each
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 257; Total fat, 9 grams; Saturated fat, 3 grams; Cholesterol, 54 milligrams; Sodium, 266 milligrams