A Good Beginning
The Georgia Infirmary, the first hospital established for blacks, was chartered on Christmas Eve, 1832, in Savannah. A few weeks later, on Jan. 15, 1833, Richard F. Williams, president, presided over the hospitals first organization meeting. The hospital was established for the "relief and protection of aged and afflicted Negroes." In 1864, during the Civil War, the infirmary closed its doors and the buildings were destroyed. In 1871, after the war, the hospital was rebuilt with the help of funds from Savannah and the Louisa M. Porter Aid Society. By the end of its first year, the hospital showed a balance of 56.82 dollars. This was a small sum but a hopeful sign. Today, the infirmary, now fully integrated, is operated as an outpatient service and is called the Georgia Infirmary Day Center for Rehabilitation.
Copyright Aetna InteliHealth, Inc., 2013. All rights reserved.