Your husband needs to see his doctor. He or she will find the reason for his problem, rather than just trying something else to firm his stools.
It may be something simple, such as lactose intolerance. By limiting dairy products, the problem may go away.
Or it could be irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). This is a common reason for loose stools, but its unusual for it to start in middle age. There is no specific test for IBS. His doctor will first rule out other causes before jumping to this diagnosis.
Other possible reasons for loose stools include:
- A side effect from medicine
- Overuse of alcohol
- Gluten sensitivity, possibly celiac disease
- Inflammation in the intestinal tract, such as Crohns disease
- Liver or pancreas disorders, which can decrease absorption of fats and cause loose stools
- A lingering parasite, such as Giardia
These are just a few examples in a very long list of possibilities.
If changes in his diet dont help, his doctor may suggest taking over-the-counter loperamide (Imodium). One pill per day might be enough. He shouldnt use too much because he could quickly become constipated.