|Healthful Recipes |
| || |
| Plantain |
Plantains may look like bananas, but they have a wonderful flavor all their own.
2 large, green plantains
3 C. water
3/4 t. salt
2 t. sugar
- Peel plantains and grate very coarsely with hand grater or in a food processor.
- In medium saucepan, stir together water, salt and sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in grated plantain and any juice.
- Reduce heat and cook at a simmer until it is almost smooth, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, divide among 4 bowls and pass skim milk separately.
- Serve with orange juice and skim milk.
YIELD: 4 servings SERVING SIZE: 1 cup
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 131; Total fat, 0 grams; Saturated fat, 0 grams; Cholesterol, 0 milligrams; Sodium, 411 milligram; Dietary fiber, 2 grams; Carbohydrates, 35 grams; Protein, 1 gram
From Healthy Hispanic Recipes by the National Cancer Institute.