Whether you hunt in the great outdoors or the supermarket, this healthy and hearty recipe will satisfy you and your family.
| 1 1/2 lb. ground moose (or other lean game or beef) |
1 clove garlic, minced
2 t. ground cumin
3 C. diced tomatoes
1 C. low-sodium beef broth
1 T. Tabasco
3/4 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. salt
| 1/2 large onion, minced |
3 T. chili powder
2 T. tomato paste
2 C. low sodium chicken broth
2 T. cornstarch
1 T. cayenne pepper
1 1/2 t. onion powder
1 C. cooked red beans
- Saute meat in large pot until browned, add onion, cook until soft.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, and tomato paste and tomatoes, cook over medium heat.
- Mix two broths together in bowl, add cornstarch, mix well.
- Add broth mixture to pot, stir, bring to slow simmer.
- Add rest of ingredients, stir, simmer 15 minutes.
YIELD: 10 servings
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 131; Cholesterol, 38milligrams; Sodium, 218 milligrams; Fat, 2 grams; Protein, 17 grams; Carbohydrates, 11 grams; Dietary Fiber, 2 grams (16 percent of calories from fat)
Recipe provided by Glenn Denkler, Eat Smart Alaska.