|Healthful Recipes |
| || |
| Side Dishes |
Cheese and corn make a wonderful combination in this side dish.
3 10-oz. packages frozen corn, thawed
1/2 C. skim milk
1 2/3 cups yellow corn meal
2 T. sugar
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/2 t. anise seeds
1/4 C. raisins
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1 large egg
2 large egg whites
4 oz. thinly sliced Muenster cheese
1/2 t. paprika
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9-inch square baking pan with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- In blender or food processor, puree the corn and milk until smooth (in 2 batches).
- In large bowl, stir together corn meal, sugar, baking powder, salt, anise seeds, cinnamon, raisins.
- In small bowl, lightly beat egg and egg whites together.
- Stir beaten eggs and corn puree into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and cover top with cheese. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 20 minutes before cutting into 9 square pieces.
YIELD: 9 servings SERVING SIZE: 1 square
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 253; Total fat, 6 grams; Saturated fat, 3 grams; Cholesterol, 36 milligrams; Sodium, 383 milligrams; Dietary fiber, 1 gram; Carbohydrates, 44 grams; Protein, 10 grams
From Healthy Hispanic Recipes by the National Cancer Institute.