No added fat or salt is used or needed in this tasty potato dish.
1 lb. (about 2 large) potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 C. skim milk
2 large cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 t. white pepper
- Cook potatoes, covered, in a small amount of boiling water for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from heat. Drain and re-cover.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan over low heat, cook garlic in milk until garlic is soft, about 30 minutes.
- Add milk-garlic mixture and white pepper to potatoes. Beat with electric mixer on low speed or mash with potato masher until smooth.
- Scrub potatoes, pat dry and prick with fork.
- On a plate, cook potatoes, uncovered, on 100 percent power (high) until tender, about 12 minutes, turning potatoes over once.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Peel and quarter.
- Meanwhile, in 4-cup glass measuring cup, combine milk and garlic.
- Cook, uncovered, on 50 percent power (medium) until garlic is soft, about 4 minutes. Continue as directed above.
YIELD: 4 servings SERVING SIZE: 3/4 cup
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 141; Total fat, less than 1 gram; Saturated fat, less than 1 gram; Cholesterol, 2 milligrams; Sodium, 70 milligrams