Serve this delicious stew with fresh-baked bread for a complete, balanced meal.
4 C. water
2 C. white wine
2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
2 carrots, coarsely chopped
1 lb. crayfish, washed
1 1/2 lb. medium shrimp, washed
1 T. olive oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 medium red bell peppers, finely chopped
4 medium tomatoes, dipped in boiling water for 30 seconds, peeled and chopped
2 T. tomato paste
2 t. chopped fresh thyme
2 t. chopped fresh oregano
1 1/2 lb. sea bass fillets, cut into chunks
1 1/2 lb. small squid, cleaned and sliced
pepper, to taste
very small amount of salt (optional)
- In large, nonaluminum saucepan, stir together water, white wine, celery and carrots.
- Bring to simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add shrimp and crayfish and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Strain shellfish and vegetables from broth and set broth aside.
- Peel crayfish and shrimp and discard shells and vegetables.
- Warm olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook onions and peppers until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, thyme and oregano.
- Add reserved broth and bring it to simmer.
- Stir in sea bass and squid and simmer for 2 minutes. Return crayfish and shrimp to broth and simmer 1 more minute.
- Season to taste (optional), ladle into bowls and serve immediately.
YIELD: 16 servings SERVING SIZE: 1 cup
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 244; Total fat, 4 grams; Saturated fat, 1 gram; Cholesterol, 266 milligrams; Sodium, 194 milligrams*; Dietary fiber, 2 grams; Carbohydrates, 9 grams; protein, 33 grams
*Sodium content does not include addition of optional amounts of salt mentioned in recipe.
From Healthy Hispanic Recipes by the National Cancer Institute