|Healthful Recipes |
| || |
| Desserts |
Bananas and buttermilk give this old favorite its moistness and help to lower the fat content.
1 C. mashed ripe bananas
1/3 C. low-fat buttermilk
1/2 C. packed brown sugar
1/4 C. margarine
2 C. sifted all-purpose flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 C. chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly oil 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Stir together mashed bananas and buttermilk; set aside.
- Cream brown sugar and margarine together until light. Beat in egg. Add banana mixture; beat well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt; add all at once to liquid ingredients. Stir until well blended.
- Stir in nuts and turn into prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan.
- Remove from pan and complete cooling on wire rack before slicing.
YIELD: One loaf SERVING SIZE: 1/2-inch slice
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 133; Total fat, 5 grams; Saturated fat, 1 gram; Cholesterol, 12 milligrams; Sodium, 138 milligrams