|Healthful Recipes |
| || |
| Sour Cream |
Chayote peppers are the main ingredient in this delicious vegetarian dish.
6 medium chayotes, washed
1/3 C. flour
3 C. skim milk
1 C. evaporated skim milk
1/2 C. low-fat sour cream
1 1/2 T. chopped fresh parsley
3 scallions, minced
pepper, to taste
very small amount of salt (optional)
- In large saucepan, bring 4 quarts of salted water to a boil.
- Add chayotes, cover and cook until they are tender when pierced with a skewer, about 30 minutes.
- While chayotes are cooking, prepare sauce.
- In small bowl, whisk together flour and 1/2 C. skim milk until smooth.
- In large, nonaluminum saucepan, stir together remaining skim milk and evaporated skim milk. Bring to simmer over medium heat.
- Very gradually whisk in flour mixture. Stir until sauce boils and thickens.
- Reduce heat to very low and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sour cream, parsley and scallions, and season to taste with salt (optional) and plenty of pepper.
- Drain chayotes and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices. Put sliced chayotes in serving bowl, pour sauce over and serve immediately.
YIELD: 10 servings SERVING SIZE: 3/4 cup
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 91; Total fat, 1 gram; Saturated fat, 0 grams; Cholesterol, 3 milligrams; Sodium, 77 milligrams*; Dietary fiber, 0 grams; Carbohydrates, 14 grams; Protein, 6 grams
*Sodium content does not include addition of optional amounts of salt mentioned in recipe.
From Healthy Hispanic Recipes by the National Cancer Institute.