Apples make for a moist, luscious cake.
Vegetable oil spray
2 C. diced apples (peeled or unpeeled), about 2-3 medium
3/4 C. of sugar
1-1/2 C. unsifted all-purpose flour
1/2 C. raisins
1-1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/3 C. unsweetened applesauce
1 egg or 1 egg substitute equivalent to 1 egg
1 T. acceptable [unsaturated] vegetable oil
1 t. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch square cake pan with vegetable oil spray.
- In large bowl, combine apples and sugar. Set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine flour, raisins, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, stirring well.
- Stir remaining ingredients into apple mixture. Gradually stir flour mixture into apple mixture and stir again. Spread batter evenly in cake pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
YIELD: 9 servings
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 210; Cholesterol, 0 milligrams; Sodium, 274 milligrams; Fat, 2 grams; Protein, 3 grams; Carbohydrates, 45 grams; Dietary Fiber, 2 grams