Using nonstick cooking spray, ground turkey and no added salt helps to make this classic dish heart-healthy.
nonstick cooking spray, as needed
1 lb. ground turkey
1 can (28 oz.) tomatoes, cut-up
1 C. finely chopped green pepper
1 C. finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 t. dried oregano, crushed
1 t. black pepper
1 lb. spaghetti, uncooked
- Coat large skillet with nonstick spray. Preheat over high heat.
- Add turkey; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Drain fat and discard.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice, green pepper, onion, garlic, oregano and black pepper.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat.
- Simmer covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover; simmer for 15 minutes more. (If you like creamier sauce, give sauce a whirl in your blender or food processor.)
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in unsalted water. Drain well.
- Serve sauce over spaghetti.
YIELD: 6 servings SERVING SIZE: 5 ounces sauce and 9 ounces spaghetti
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 330; Total fat, 5 grams; Saturated fat, 1 gram; Cholesterol, 60 milligrams; Sodium, 280 milligrams