Using lean top round, plain low-fat yogurt and very little added salt makes this a heart-healthy dish.
1 lb. lean beef (top round)
2 t. vegetable oil
1 lb. sliced mushrooms
3/4 T. finely chopped onion
1/4 C. white wine
1 C. plain low fat yogurt
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. dried basil
1/4 t. salt
6 C. cooked macaroni, cooked in unsalted water
black pepper, to taste
- Cut beef into 1-inch cubes. Heat 1 t. vegetable oil in nonstick skillet. Saute onion for 2 minutes.
- Add beef and saute for additional 5 minutes. Turn to brown evenly. Remove from pan and keep hot.
- Add remaining vegetable oil to pan; saute mushrooms.
- Add beef and onions to pan with seasonings.
- Add wine, yogurt; gently stir in. Heat, but do not boil.
- Serve with macaroni.
Note: If thickening is desired, use 2 teaspoons cornstarch; calories are same as flour, but it has double thickening power. These calories are not figured into the nutrients per serving.
YIELD: 5 servings SERVING SIZE: 6 ounces
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 499; Total fat, 10 grams; Saturated fat, 3 grams; Cholesterol, 79 milligrams; Sodium, 200 milligrams