Photographer: Yukon Gold & Sweet Potato Mash
Publish Date: 2008-11-01
Yield: 6 servings, about 2/3 cup each
Total Time: 40 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
The addition of delicious sweet potatoes gives a nutrient boost to mashed potatoes. Double it: Cook the potatoes in a Dutch oven rather than a large saucepan.
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place potatoes and sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until very tender when pierced with a fork, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes, then mash them in the pot to the desired consistency. Place milk and butter in a small bowl and microwave on High until the butter is mostly melted and the milk is warm, 30 to 40 seconds. (Alternatively, place in a small saucepan and heat over medium until the milk is warm.) Stir the milk mixture, sugar, salt and pepper into the mashed potatoes until combined.
Per serving: 151 calories; 4 g fat (3 g saturated fat, 0g mono unsaturated fat); 11 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 321 mg sodium; 369 mg potassium
Nutrtion Bonus: Vitamin A (190% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv).
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
- Degree of Difficulty
- Special Health Consideration(s)
- Healthy Weight
- Low Sodium
- Low Cholesterol
- Low Calorie
- Seasons & Occassions
- Main Ingredient(s)
- Dairy & Soy
- Dish Type(s)
- Side Dishes
Scaling Disclaimer: EatingWell recipes are tested extensively in the EatingWell Test Kitchen. Eating Well cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original. Also note that scaling only applies to the ingredient measurements: no adjustment is made to the recipe instructions, so pan sizes and cooking times and ingredient amounts referred to in the text of the recipe only apply to the original number of servings.
Gluten-Free Disclaimer: We have verified that these recipes do not include the following gluten-containing ingredients: wheat (all varieties, including spelt and kamut, wheat germ or bran and other forms of wheat protein), rye, barley (in all forms, including malt, malt flavoring, malt vinegar and malt extract), oats, triticale or beer/ale. However, many processed foods, such as broths, soy sauce and other condiments, may contain hidden sources of gluten. If a recipe calls for a packaged (e.g., canned) ingredient, we recommend that you carefully read the label to be sure it does not contain a hidden source of gluten.