Photographer: Burris, Ken
Publish Date: 2008-11-01
Yield: 6 servings, scant 1 cup each
Total Time: 20 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Broccoli, white beans and Cheddar blend together deliciously in this quick and healthy soup.
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound broccoli crowns, trimmed and chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1 14-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Bring broth and water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add broccoli, cover and continue cooking until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in beans, salt and pepper and continue cooking until the beans are heated through, about 1 minute.
- Transfer half the mixture to a blender with half the cheese and puree. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining broccoli mixture and cheese. Serve warm.
Per serving: 153 calories; 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat, 0g mono unsaturated fat); 21 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 6 g fiber; 437 mg sodium; 435 mg potassium
Nutrtion Bonus: Vitamin C (94% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Calcium (21% dv).
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
- Degree of Difficulty
- Special Health Consideration(s)
- Low Calorie
- Low Carb
- High Fiber
- Low Sat Fat
- Low Cholesterol
- Low Sodium
- High Calcium
- Heart Healthy
- Healthy Weight
- Seasons & Occassions
- Main Ingredient(s)
- Dairy & Soy
- Dish Type(s)
- Main Dish
- Side Dishes
Scaling Disclaimer: EatingWell recipes are tested extensively in the EatingWell Test Kitchen. Eating Well cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original. Also note that scaling only applies to the ingredient measurements: no adjustment is made to the recipe instructions, so pan sizes and cooking times and ingredient amounts referred to in the text of the recipe only apply to the original number of servings.
Gluten-Free Disclaimer: We have verified that these recipes do not include the following gluten-containing ingredients: wheat (all varieties, including spelt and kamut, wheat germ or bran and other forms of wheat protein), rye, barley (in all forms, including malt, malt flavoring, malt vinegar and malt extract), oats, triticale or beer/ale. However, many processed foods, such as broths, soy sauce and other condiments, may contain hidden sources of gluten. If a recipe calls for a packaged (e.g., canned) ingredient, we recommend that you carefully read the label to be sure it does not contain a hidden source of gluten.