Photographer: Burris, Ken
Publish Date: 2008-10-01
Yield: 4 servings
Total Time: 25 minutes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Put away any preconceived notions of Grandma's fruit salad. This unusual combination of tropical fruit in a savory shallot vinaigrette will have you dreaming of the tropics.
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 4 kiwis, peeled and diced
- 2 firm ripe bananas, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped cashews, toasted (see Tip)
- Whisk lime juice, oil, shallot, vinegar, honey, salt and cayenne in a medium bowl. Add kiwis, bananas, bell pepper and mint; toss to coat. Serve sprinkled with cashews.
Recipe Tips & Notes:
- Tip: To toast nuts & seeds on the stovetop: Toast in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
Per serving: 170 calories; 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat, 3g mono unsaturated fat); 0 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 151 mg sodium; 544 mg potassium
Nutrtion Bonus: Vitamin C (190% daily value), Fiber (20% dv), Potassium & Vitamin A (15% dv).
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 fat
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
- Special Health Consideration(s)
- Low Calorie
- High Fiber
- Low Sat Fat
- Low Cholesterol
- Low Sodium
- High Potassium
- Heart Healthy
- Healthy Weight
- Seasons & Occassions
- No Cook
- Dish Type(s)
Scaling Disclaimer: EatingWell recipes are tested extensively in the EatingWell Test Kitchen. Eating Well cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original. Also note that scaling only applies to the ingredient measurements: no adjustment is made to the recipe instructions, so pan sizes and cooking times and ingredient amounts referred to in the text of the recipe only apply to the original number of servings.
Gluten-Free Disclaimer: We have verified that these recipes do not include the following gluten-containing ingredients: wheat (all varieties, including spelt and kamut, wheat germ or bran and other forms of wheat protein), rye, barley (in all forms, including malt, malt flavoring, malt vinegar and malt extract), oats, triticale or beer/ale. However, many processed foods, such as broths, soy sauce and other condiments, may contain hidden sources of gluten. If a recipe calls for a packaged (e.g., canned) ingredient, we recommend that you carefully read the label to be sure it does not contain a hidden source of gluten.