Photographer: Burris, Ken
Publish Date: 2008-10-01
Yield: 8 servings, 1 3/4 cups each
Total Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
To Make Ahead: Cover and refrigerate the vinaigrette (Step 1) for up to 2 days. Washed, dried lettuce will keep in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours. Keep prepared oranges and fennel in separate containers in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours.
This colorful salad offers a symphony of flavors and textures. Savory black olives, sweet orange slices and crisp, licorice-flavored fennel balance the slightly bitter tastes of chicory, radicchio and Belgian endive.
Black olive vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3 medium navel or Valencia oranges
- 10 cups mixed lettuces, (3 small heads), such as chicory, radicchio and leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 heads Belgian endive, sliced
- 2 bulbs fennel, trimmed and sliced
- To prepare vinaigrette: Whisk vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in oil. Stir in olives and parsley.
- To prepare salad: Using a sharp knife, remove peel and white pith from oranges. Quarter the oranges; slice pieces crosswise.
- Just before serving, combine lettuces, endive, fennel and the orange slices in a large bowl. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to coat well.
Per serving: 167 calories; 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat, 7g mono unsaturated fat); 0 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 9 g fiber; 274 mg sodium; 958 mg potassium
Nutrtion Bonus: 100% dv Vitamin A, 58 mg Vitamin C (100% dv), 296 mcg Folate (74% dv), 30% dv Fiber.
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 2 vegetable, 2 fat
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
- Degree of Difficulty
- Special Health Consideration(s)
- Low Calorie
- Low Carb
- High Fiber
- Low Sat Fat
- Low Cholesterol
- Low Sodium
- High Potassium
- High Calcium
- Heart Healthy
- Healthy Weight
- Seasons & Occassions
- New Year's
- Mother's Day
- Father's Day
- Bridal Shower
- Baby Shower
- Super Bowl
- Valentine's Day
- No Cook
- Dish Type(s)
Scaling Disclaimer: EatingWell recipes are tested extensively in the EatingWell Test Kitchen. Eating Well cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original. Also note that scaling only applies to the ingredient measurements: no adjustment is made to the recipe instructions, so pan sizes and cooking times and ingredient amounts referred to in the text of the recipe only apply to the original number of servings.
Gluten-Free Disclaimer: We have verified that these recipes do not include the following gluten-containing ingredients: wheat (all varieties, including spelt and kamut, wheat germ or bran and other forms of wheat protein), rye, barley (in all forms, including malt, malt flavoring, malt vinegar and malt extract), oats, triticale or beer/ale. However, many processed foods, such as broths, soy sauce and other condiments, may contain hidden sources of gluten. If a recipe calls for a packaged (e.g., canned) ingredient, we recommend that you carefully read the label to be sure it does not contain a hidden source of gluten.