Photographer: Minted Peas & Rice with Feta
Publish Date: 2008-10-01
Yield: 4 servings, 3/4 cup each
Total Time: 25 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
The flavors of fresh mint and feta enliven this instant brown rice. Toss any leftovers with some cooked shrimp for a satisfying, easy lunch.
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup instant brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, (6 ounces)
- 3/4 cup sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup finely crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mint
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add rice and bring to a simmer; cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 4 minutes. Stir in peas and return to a simmer over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook until the peas are hot and the rice has absorbed most of the liquid, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in scallions, feta, mint and pepper. Cover and let stand until the liquid is absorbed, 3 to 5 minutes.
Per serving: 134 calories; 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat, 0g mono unsaturated fat); 8 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 321 mg sodium; 203 mg potassium
Nutrtion Bonus: Vitamin A (30% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
- Degree of Difficulty
- Special Health Consideration(s)
- Diabetes Appropriate
- Heart Healthy
- Low Sat Fat
- Low Cholesterol
- Low Sodium
- Low Carb
- Low Calorie
- Healthy Weight
- Seasons & Occassions
- Mother's Day
- Father's Day
- Bridal Shower
- Baby Shower
- St. Patrick's Day
- Main Ingredient(s)
- Dairy & Soy
- Dish Type(s)
- Side Dishes
Scaling Disclaimer: EatingWell recipes are tested extensively in the EatingWell Test Kitchen. Eating Well cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original. Also note that scaling only applies to the ingredient measurements: no adjustment is made to the recipe instructions, so pan sizes and cooking times and ingredient amounts referred to in the text of the recipe only apply to the original number of servings.
Gluten-Free Disclaimer: We have verified that these recipes do not include the following gluten-containing ingredients: wheat (all varieties, including spelt and kamut, wheat germ or bran and other forms of wheat protein), rye, barley (in all forms, including malt, malt flavoring, malt vinegar and malt extract), oats, triticale or beer/ale. However, many processed foods, such as broths, soy sauce and other condiments, may contain hidden sources of gluten. If a recipe calls for a packaged (e.g., canned) ingredient, we recommend that you carefully read the label to be sure it does not contain a hidden source of gluten.