Photographer: Burris, Ken
Publish Date: 2008-10-01
Yield: 4 servings
Total Time: 45 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Call this one an update of that favorite combo, sausage and peppers. Our healthy version can be served over rice or on a roll with a little shredded cheese for a new take on a Philly cheese steak sandwich.
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 1 red, yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Whisk lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, jalapenos, oil and salt in a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish. Add tenders, bell pepper and onion; toss to coat. Spread the mixture out evenly; cover with foil. Bake until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 25 to 30 minutes.
Per serving: 172 calories; 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat, 5g mono unsaturated fat); 49 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 1 g fiber; 518 mg sodium; 122 mg potassium
Nutrtion Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Selenium (28% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 3 very lean meats, 1 1/2 fat
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
- Degree of Difficulty
- Special Health Consideration(s)
- Low Calorie
- Low Carb
- Low Sat Fat
- Heart Healthy
- Diabetes Appropriate
- Healthy Weight
- Seasons & Occassions
- Super Bowl
- Main Ingredient(s)
- Dish Type(s)
- Main Dish
Scaling Disclaimer: EatingWell recipes are tested extensively in the EatingWell Test Kitchen. Eating Well cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original. Also note that scaling only applies to the ingredient measurements: no adjustment is made to the recipe instructions, so pan sizes and cooking times and ingredient amounts referred to in the text of the recipe only apply to the original number of servings.
Gluten-Free Disclaimer: We have verified that these recipes do not include the following gluten-containing ingredients: wheat (all varieties, including spelt and kamut, wheat germ or bran and other forms of wheat protein), rye, barley (in all forms, including malt, malt flavoring, malt vinegar and malt extract), oats, triticale or beer/ale. However, many processed foods, such as broths, soy sauce and other condiments, may contain hidden sources of gluten. If a recipe calls for a packaged (e.g., canned) ingredient, we recommend that you carefully read the label to be sure it does not contain a hidden source of gluten.