Photographer: Burris, Ken
Publish Date: 2008-10-01
Yield: 8 servings, 3/4 cup each
Total Time: 15-25 minutes
Prep Time: 15-25 minutes
To Make Ahead: Cover and chill for up to 2 days.
We've lightened this popular potluck classic with a dressing of reduced-fat mayo and yogurt. To speed preparation, use shredded broccoli slaw from the produce aisle.
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 1 12- to 16-ounce bag shredded broccoli slaw, or 1 large bunch broccoli (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 8-ounce can low-sodium sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion, (1/2 medium)
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning frequently, until crisp, 5 to 8 minutes. (Alternatively, microwave on High for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes.) Drain bacon on paper towels. Chop coarsely.
- If using whole broccoli, trim about 3 inches off the stems. Chop the rest into 1/4-inch pieces.
- Whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add water chestnuts, onion, bacon and broccoli; toss to coat. Chill until serving time.
Per serving: 80 calories; 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat, 1g mono unsaturated fat); 5 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 271 mg sodium; 181 mg potassium
Nutrtion Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value).
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
- Degree of Difficulty
- Special Health Consideration(s)
- Low Calorie
- Low Carb
- Low Sat Fat
- Low Sodium
- Heart Healthy
- Diabetes Appropriate
- Seasons & Occassions
- Super Bowl
- Fourth of July
- Main Ingredient(s)
- Dairy & Soy
- Dish Type(s)
- Side Dishes
Scaling Disclaimer: EatingWell recipes are tested extensively in the EatingWell Test Kitchen. Eating Well cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original. Also note that scaling only applies to the ingredient measurements: no adjustment is made to the recipe instructions, so pan sizes and cooking times and ingredient amounts referred to in the text of the recipe only apply to the original number of servings.
Gluten-Free Disclaimer: We have verified that these recipes do not include the following gluten-containing ingredients: wheat (all varieties, including spelt and kamut, wheat germ or bran and other forms of wheat protein), rye, barley (in all forms, including malt, malt flavoring, malt vinegar and malt extract), oats, triticale or beer/ale. However, many processed foods, such as broths, soy sauce and other condiments, may contain hidden sources of gluten. If a recipe calls for a packaged (e.g., canned) ingredient, we recommend that you carefully read the label to be sure it does not contain a hidden source of gluten.