This dish is baked and flavored with a Mediterranean-style tomato, onion and garlic sauce to make it lower in fat and salt.
2 t. olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
1/4 C. lemon juice
1/4 C. orange juice
1 can (16 oz.) whole tomatoes, drained (reserve juice) and coarsely chopped
1 T. fresh grated orange peel
1 t. fennel seeds, crushed
1 bay leaf
1/2 t. dried oregano, crushed
1 clove garlic, minced
l/2 t. dried thyme, crushed
1 C. dry white wine
l/2 t. dried basil, crushed
1/2 C. reserved tomato juice from canned tomatoes
black pepper to taste
1 lb. fish fillets (sole, flounder or sea perch)
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet. Add onion and saute over moderate heat 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients except fish.
- Stir well and simmer 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Arrange fish in 10x6-inch baking dish; cover with sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° F about 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily.
YIELD: 4 servings SERVING SIZE: 4-ounce fillet with sauce
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 177; Total fat, 4 grams; Saturated fat, 1 gram; Cholesterol, 56 milligrams; Sodium, 281 milligrams