|Healthful Recipes |
| || |
| Pumpkin |
A fall favorite that is a great source of vitamin A.
1 C. Crisco or shortening
1/2 C. applesauce, unsweetened
2 1/4 C. granulated sugar
32-oz. can of pumpkin
4 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
1 t. salt
3 t. baking powder
2/ 14 t. baking soda
3 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg (optional)
1/2 t. ground ginger (optional)
Icing: 2 1/2 C. powdered sugar
2 t. vanilla extract
3 T. skim milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream together 1 C. shortening with 2 1/4 C. sugar.
- Add applesauce before completely creamed.
- Add 32-oz. can pumpkin and set aside.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda and spices (if used).
- Mix dry ingredients into creamed ingredients. Do not over mix.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes (or until golden) on greased cookie sheet.
- Combine ingredients for icing. Drizzle or spread onto cooled cookies.
YIELD: 48 cookies NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 144; Total fat, 4 grams; Saturated fat, 1 gram; Sodium, 172 milligrams; Cholesterol, 0 milligrams; Fiber, 1 gram.