Using low-fat milk instead of cream lowers saturated-fat in this hearty dish.
1 T. vegetable oil
2 T. finely diced celery
2 T. finely diced onion
2 T. finely diced green pepper
1 10-oz. package frozen whole kernel corn
1 C. peeled, diced, 1/2-inch raw potatoes
2 C. low-fat (1 percent) or skim milk
1/4 t. salt
to taste black pepper
1/4 t. paprika
2 T. chopped fresh parsley
1 C. water
2 T. flour
- Heat oil in medium saucepan.
- Add celery, onion, green pepper. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add corn, potatoes, water, salt, pepper, paprika. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium; cook, covered, about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Place l/2 C. milk in jar with tight-fitting lid. Add flour and shake vigorously.
- Add gradually to cooked vegetables. Add remaining milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to boil and thickens.
- Serve garnished with chopped fresh parsley.
YIELD: 4 servings SERVING SIZE: 1 cup
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 186; Total fat, 5 grams; Saturated fat, 1 gram; Cholesterol, 5 milligrams; Sodium, 205 milligrams; Total fiber, 4 grams; Protein, 7 grams; Carbohydrates, 31 grams; Potassium, 455 milligrams.