This pie uses only a small amount of oil in the crust and skim milk in the filling to make it heart-healthy.
1 C. quick cooking oats
1/4 C. packed brown sugar
1/4 C. whole wheat flour
1/4 C. ground almonds
1/4 t. salt
3 T. vegetable oil
1 T. water
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. ground nutmeg
2 T. brown sugar
1/4 t. salt
1 egg, beaten
4 t. vanilla
2/3 C. evaporated skim milk
1 C. canned pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Mix oats, flour, almonds, sugar and salt together in small bowl.
- Blend oil and water together in measuring cup with fork or small wire whisk until emulsified.
- Add oil mixture to dry ingredients and mix well. If needed, add small amount of water to hold mixture together.
- Press into 9-inch pie pan and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until light brown.
- Turn down oven to 350° F.
- Mix sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together in a bowl.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix to blend ingredients.
- Add pumpkin and milk. Stir to combine.
- Pour into prepared pie shells.
- Bake 45 minutes at 350° F or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
YIELD: 9 servings SERVING SIZE: 1/9 of a 9-inch pie
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 177; Total fat, 8 grams; Saturated fat, 1 gram; Cholesterol, 24 milligrams; Sodium, 153 milligrams