This colorful, low-sodium, cholesterol-free vegetable baked dish is prepared without any added fat.
1 28-oz. can whole tomatoes
1 medium onion, sliced
1/2 lb. fresh green beans, sliced
1/2 lb. fresh okra, cut into 1/2-inch pieces or 1/2 10-oz. package frozen
3/4 C. finely chopped green pepper
2 T. lemon juice
1 t. chopped fresh basil, or 1 t. dried basil, crushed
1 1/2 t. chopped fresh oregano leaves, or 1/2 t. dried oregano crushed
3 medium (7-inch long) zucchini, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 medium eggplant, pared and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 T. grated Parmesan cheese
- Drain and coarsely chop tomatoes. Save liquid.
- Mix together tomatoes and reserved liquid, onion, green beans, okra, green pepper, lemon juice, herbs.
- Cover and bake at 325° F for 15 minutes.
- Mix in zucchini and eggplant and continue baking, covered, 60 to 70 more minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Sprinkle top with parmesan cheese just before serving.
YIELD: 18 servings SERVING SIZE: 1/2 cup
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 36; Total fat, less than 1 gram; Saturated fat, less than 1 gram; Cholesterol, less than 1 milligram; Sodium, 86 milligrams