This tart and tangy fruit dessert is cholesterol-free and low in sodium.
1/2 C. sugar
3 T. all-purpose flour
1 t. lemon peel, grated
3/4 t. lemon juice
5 C. apples, unpeeled, sliced
1 C. cranberries
2/3 C. rolled oats
1/3 C. brown sugar, packed
1/4 C. whole wheat flour
2 t. ground cinnamon
1 T. soft margarine, melted
- To prepare filling, combine sugar, flour and lemon peel in medium bowl. Mix well.
- Add lemon juice, apples and cranberries; mix.
- Spoon into a 6-cup baking dish.
- To prepare topping, in small bowl, combine oats,brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Add melted margarine; mix.
- Sprinkle topping over filling. Bake at 375° for approximately 40 to 50 minutes or until filling is bubbly and top is brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Summer Crisp: Prepare as directed, substituting 4 C. fresh or unsweetened frozen (thawed) peaches and 3 C. fresh or unsweetened frozen (unthawed) blueberries for apples and cranberries. If frozen, thaw peaches completely (do not drain). Do not thaw blueberries before mixing or they will be crushed.
YIELD: 6 servings SERVING SIZE: 1 3/4x2-inch piece
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 284; Total fat, 6 grams; Saturated fat, 1 gram; Cholesterol, 0 milligrams; Sodium, 56 milligrams