|Healthful Recipes |
| || |
| Desserts |
Try this tropical twist on a traditional gelatin mold.
1 C. orange juice
3 packets unflavored gelatin
5 medium, very ripe mangoes
1 C. sugar
1 C. evaporated skim milk
2 C. light whipped topping
- Put orange juice into small, heat-proof bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over it. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Peel mangoes, cut fruit from pits and puree in blender or food processor. You should have 4 cups of puree.
- Transfer puree to large bowl and stir in sugar and evaporated milk.
- Warm juice and gelatin over a bowl of hot water until liquid and smooth. Whisk gelatin into mango mixture.
- Stir in whipped topping.
- Fill a 10-cup mold with cold water and pour all water out. Fill mold with mango mixture, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set, at least 2 to 3 hours.
- To serve, wrap a warm, damp towel around mold. Invert a serving plate over mold and, holding plate and mold together, turn plate upright. Lift mold away carefully.
- Garnish with fresh fruit if desired. Serve cold.
YIELD: 15 servings SERVING SIZE: 2/3 cup
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 228; Total fat, 2 grams; Saturated fat, 0 grams; Cholesterol, 1 milligram; Sodium, 54 milligrams; Dietary fiber, 5 grams; Carbohydrates, 47 grams; Protein, 5 grams
From Healthy Hispanic Recipes by the National Cancer Institute.