Skimming fat off chicken stock and using a minimum of oil and no added salt means this crunchy rice is lower in fat, saturated fat and sodium.
1 1/2 C. water
1 C. chicken stock or broth, skim fat from top
1 1/3 C. uncooked long-grain white rice
2 t. vegetable oil
2 T. finely chopped onion
1 C. finely chopped celery
1/4 t. ground sage
1/2 C. sliced water chestnuts
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/2 C. chopped pecans
2 T. finely chopped green pepper
black pepper, to taste
- Bring water and stock to boil in medium-size saucepan.
- Add rice and stir. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Reserve.
- Heat oil in large, nonstick skillet.
- Saute onion and celery over moderate heat 3 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, including reserved cooked rice.
- Fluff with fork before serving.
YIELD: 10 servings SERVING SIZE: 1/2 cup
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 139; Total fat, 5 grams; Saturated fat, less than 1 gram; Cholesterol, 0 milligrams; Sodium, 86 milligrams