This tasty bread is low in saturated fat and cholesterol, thanks to the small amount of oil and eggs used.
1 1/2 C. sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 C. sugar
1 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 C. finely shredded carrots
1 1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 C. chopped pecans
1/4 t. ground allspice
1/4 C. golden raisins
1 egg, beaten
1/2 C. water
2 T. vegetable oil
1/2 t. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350° F degrees. Lightly oil a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- Stir together dry ingredients in large bowl. Make a well in center of dry mixture.
- In separate bowl, mix together remaining ingredients; add this mixture all at once to dry ingredients.
- Stir just enough to moisten and evenly distribute carrots.
- Turn into prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan. Remove from pan and complete cooling on wire rack before slicing.
YIELD: One loaf SERVING SIZE: 1/2-inch slice
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 99; Total fat, 3 grams; Saturated fat, less than 1 gram; Cholesterol, 12 milligrams; Sodium, 97 milligrams