Use canned peas as a quick shortcut for this savory soup.
| 1 teaspoon olive oil |
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1/2 teaspoon black peppers
1 8 ounce package 97% fat free, thick sliced ham, sliced into thin strips
6 cups water
1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
12 ounces quick cooking, refrigerated black-eyed peas (find them in the produce section)
2 pounds collard greens
- Heat oil in a large pot
- Add onion, black pepper, and ham, and sauté for 8-10 minutes on medium heat, until onion is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, rinse collard greens and remove stems; bunch them and cut them into thin strips.
- Add water and liquid smoke to onion and ham, turn heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil (a light broth should develop).
- Add black-eyed peas, turn heat to medium, and continue cooking at a gentle boil for 6 minutes.
- Add collard green strips, cover, and continue boiling for 7 more minutes.
- Serve with cornbread.
YIELD: 6 servings
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 174; Cholesterol, 18 milligrams; Sodium, 499 milligrams; Fat, 3.2 gram; Protein, 15 grams; Carbohydrates, 24 grams; Dietary Fat, 7 grams (15 percent of calories from fat)