This easy, bright, sophisticated soup is full of complex flavors yet oh-so-comforting on a cool evening
1 pound carrots, peeled, washed, and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 14-ounce can low-sodium chicken broth
1 14-ounce can non-fat evaporated milk
Juice and zest of 1 orange
1 1/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice*
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Granny Smith apple, chilled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat carrots and garlic lightly with vegetable cooking spray and roast, covered, until carrots are soft, about 1 hour.
- Transfer carrots and garlic to a blender; add chicken broth and puree until smooth.
- Transfer puree to a medium pot; whisk in milk, juice, zest and seasonings. Heat on low until warm throughout and no sharp garlic taste remains.
- Add water or milk to thin, if necessary.
To serve, slice pre-washed apple into matchstick-shaped slivers and divide among four bowls. Ladle the hot soup over the chilled apple, and serve immediately.
YIELD: 4 servings
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 171; Total fat, 1 gram; Saturated fat, 0.2 grams; Cholesterol, 3 milligrams; Sodium, 468 milligrams; Dietary fiber, 1 gram; Carbohydrates, 31 grams; Protein, 9 grams