Salad works well as a light summer dish
1/4 cup bulgur
1/2 cup plain low fat yogurt
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. thinly sliced green onion
1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
2 cups lettuce greens
1/2 cup hot water
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint or 2 tsp.
dried mint, crushed
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 6 1/2 or 7 oz. can water
packed tuna, drained
1 cup diced zucchini or cucumber
- In a medium bowl, combine bulgur and water.
- Let stand 30 minutes. Drain well.
- Stir yogurt, mint, lemon juice, mustard and green onion into bulgur.
- Add tuna, tomato and zucchini or cucumber.
- Stir gently to break up tuna and coat with yogurt mixture.
YIELD: 4 servings
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 132; Percentage Calories from Fat, 8%; Cholesterol, 31 milligrams; Sodium, 149 milligrams*; Dietary fiber, 2.5 grams
*Sodium content does not include addition of optional amounts of salt mentioned in the recipe.
From Healthy Hispanic Recipes by the National Cancer Institute.