This classic German stew is made with lean, trimmed beef stew meat and cabbage.
1 1/4 lb. lean beef stew meat (trimmed of fat), cut in 1-inch pieces
1 T. vegetable oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 C. water
3/4 t. caraway seeds
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. black pepper
1 bay leaf
1/4 C. white vinegar
1 T. sugar
1/2 small head red cabbage, cut into 4 wedges
1/4 C. crushed gingersnaps
- Brown meat in oil in heavy skillet.
- Remove meat and saute onion in remaining oil until golden.
- Return meat to skillet. Add water, caraway seeds, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 1/4 hours.
- Add vinegar and sugar; stir Place cabbage on top of meat. Cover and simmer 45 minutes more.
- Arrange meat and cabbage on a platter and keep warm.
- Strain drippings and skim off fat. Add enough water to drippings to yield 1 cup of liquid.
- Return to skillet with gingersnap crumbs. Cook and stir until thickened and mixture boils.
- Serve with meat and vegetables.
YIELD: 5 servings SERVING SIZE: 5 ounces
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 244; Total fat, 11 grams; Saturated fat, 3 grams; Cholesterol, 56 milligrams; Sodium, 323 milligrams