This cholesterol-free Italian vegetable soup is brimming with fiber-rich beans, peas and carrots.
1/4 C. olive oil
1 C. canned red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
1 clove garlic, minced or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 C. frozen peas
1 1/3 C. coarsely chopped onion
1 1/2 C. fresh green beans
1 1/2 C. coarsely chopped celery and leaves
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
1 T. chopped fresh parsley
dash hot sauce
1 C. sliced carrots, fresh or frozen
11 C. water
4 3/4 C. shredded cabbage
2 C. uncooked, broken spaghetti
1 can (1 lb.) tomatoes, cut up
- Heat oil in 4-quart saucepan.
- Add garlic, onion, celery. Saute about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except spaghetti. Stir until ingredients are well mixed.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, simmer about 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add uncooked spaghetti and simmer 2 to 3 minutes.
YIELD: 16 servings SERVING SIZE: 1 cup
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 112; Total fat, 4 grams; Saturated fat, less than 1 gram; Cholesterol, 0 milligram; Sodium: 202 milligrams