|Healthful Recipes |
| || |
| Main Dishes: Lamb, Veal And Pork |
Skimming the fat from the cooking juices helps to minimize the fat content of this veal dish.
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 1/2 t. cumin
3 lb. boned lean veal shoulder, trimmed, rolled and tied
4 t. olive oil
1/2 lb. onions, peeled
1/2 clove garlic, peeled
2 t. dried tarragon
4 sprigs fresh parsley
1 t. thyme
1 bay leaf
- Mix together salt, pepper, cinnamon and cumin. Rub over roast.
- Heat 2 t. oil in large skillet. Add onions, garlic and tarragon.
- Cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 t. oil in ovenproof pan large enough to hold all ingredients. Brown meat on all sides.
- Add garlic-onion mixture. Add parsley, thyme and bay leaf. Cover.
- Bake at 325° F oven for 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat to serving platter.
- Skim fat from cooking juices. Remove bay leaf and parsley.
- Slice roast in 1/4- to 1/2-inch slices. Pour a little cooking juice over roast and serve the rest on the side.
YIELD: 12 servings SERVING SIZE: 3 ounces
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 206; Total fat, 8 grams; Saturated fat, 3 grams; Cholesterol, 124 milligrams; Sodium, 149 milligrams