Skinless chicken is the basis for this delicious stew with cornmeal dumplings made with low-fat milk.
For the stew:
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 C. onion, coarsely chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
1/4 t. salt
1 pinch ground cloves
1 bay leaf
3 C. water
1 t. cornstarch
1 t. dried basil
1 10-oz. package frozen peas
black pepper, to taste
For cornmeal dumplings:
1 C. yellow cornmeal
3/4 C. sifted all-purpose flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 C. low-fat (1 percent) milk
1 T. vegetable oil
- Place chicken, onion, carrot, celery, salt, pepper, cloves, bay leaf and water in a large saucepan. Heat to boil; cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook about l/2 hour or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken and vegetables from broth. Strain broth.
- Skim fat from broth; measure and, if necessary, add water to make 3 cups liquid.
- Mix cornstarch with 1 C. cooled broth by shaking vigorously in jar with tight-fitting lid.
- Pour into saucepan with remaining broth; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to boil and is thickened.
- Add basil, peas and reserved vegetables to sauce; stir to combine.
- Add chicken and heat slowly to boiling while preparing cornmeal dumplings.
- Sift together cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt into large bowl.
- Mix together milk and oil. Add milk mixture all at once to dry ingredients; stir just enough to moisten flour and evenly distribute liquid. Dough will be soft.
- Drop by full tablespoons on top of braised meat or stew. Cover tightly; heat to boiling. Reduce heat (do not lift cover) to simmering and steam about 20 minutes.
YIELD: 6 servings SERVING SIZE: 1 1/4 cups stew with 2 dumplings
NUTRITION ANALYSIS PER SERVING: Calories, 307; Fat: 5 grams; Saturated fat: 1 gram; Cholesterol, 43 milligrams; Sodium, 471 milligrams