The New England Journal of Medicine can trace its roots to the Massachusetts Medical Society. On Oct. 3, 1805, the society authorized that a pharmacopoeia be published for its members. James Jackson and John Collins Warren edited the 286-page publication. In 1812, Warren established The New England Journal of Medicine and Surgery and the Collateral Branches of Science, a somewhat unwieldy title that later, after it merged with the Medical Intelligencer, would become the weekly Boston Medical and Surgical Journal. The society purchased the Boston Journal for $1 in 1921. In 1928, 100 years after its founding, the weekly became The New England Journal of Medicine.
Copyright InteliHealth, Inc., 2011. All rights reserved.